Some might use this recipe for breakfast; others might use it for dessert. As for me I would use it for the latter. Breakfast for me consists of protein and fat. A lot of it. And them more of it. Fat, that is.
We consider this recipe rather carbohydrate heavy. Please eat these sparingly and treat it for what is is- a dessert! Just because it is gluten-free, white flour free, chemical and preservative free and fits into the "paleo" lifestyle does not mean that you can eat this at will.
Treat it like a treat.
After trying this gem you can always substitute the chocolate chips for some form of fruit. Preferably blueberries. Or whatever else you think goes good with orange. Or whatever else your little heart desires. Heck you can even substitute both the orange and blueberry with anything of your choice.
Orange Dark Chocolate Chip Scones
What You Shall Need:
2 cups almond flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup chocolate chunks (we like Enjoy Life Chips which are dairy, gluten and chemical free.
1 tbsp orange zest (I have an obsession with zesting, actually)
1 whole egg
3 tbsp agave nectar or honey. (I prefer raw organic honey that we get at the local farmers market.)
1. What You Shall Do:
In 1. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, baking
soda, chips and zest
2. In a smaller bowl, combine egg and agave
3. Mix wet ingredients into dry
4. Knead dough with hands if necessary to ensure proper distribution of ingredients
5. Form dough into a circle that is about ½” thick. It does't have to be a perfect circle!
6. Cut dough like you would a pizza; into 8 slices
7. Use a baking spatula to transfer to a baking sheet that you lined with parchment/wax paper.
8. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes
9. You're done
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups shredded parsnips
- 4 whole eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste